Juan Luis Avendaño Cisneros
Partner at Miranda & Amado since 2003. With a practice focused on the financial industry, Juan Luis has assisted major Peruvian banks, companies and holdings in the issuance of over 45 international debt securities, hybrids and securitizations, including several liability management processes, and has participated in several acquisition financings in countries of the Pacific Alliance region.
He has also assisted foreign financial entities in obtaining licenses for operating banks, investment fund management companies, mutual funds companies, and brokerage firms. He regularly advises national and foreign banks on banking regulatory matters, capital market deals, derivatives and on mergers and acquisitions of banks and financing entities.
His pro bono practice includes advicing Yaqua, Help Perú, Laboratoria, and also Global Partnerships in their cross-border loans to microfinance entitiessuch as Pro-Mujer, Fondesurco, and Credivisión, among others.
He is the current Chair of Affinitas, a team of four leading law firms in each of the countries of the Pacific Alliance.
Juan Luis holds a Law Degree from Universidad de Lima and a master’s degree from Yale Law School. Before joining Miranda & Amado, he worked as an associate lawyer at Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, in New York, General Counsel at BankBoston Peru, and as member of the Cabinet of Advisors to the Ministry of Economy and Finance of Peru.
- Yale Law School, Masters of Law – LL.M. (1998).
- Universidad de Lima, Lawyer (1995).
- Miranda & Amado Abogados (2001 – present).
- Member of the Advisers Council of the Ministry of Economy and Finance (2001).
- Member of the Free Competition Commission of the National Institute for the Defense of Competition and Protection of Intellectual Property – Indecopi (2000).
- Legal Manager, BankBoston N.A., Peruvian branch (2000).
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, New York (1998-2000).
- Corporate Lawyer of IBM Peru (1995-1997).
- Peruvian Banking Overview. IFLR 1000, October 2010.
- A Hybrid Future. Latin Lawyer Magazine, February 2010.
- Tax doubts. In: Semana Económica Nº 1194 – 2009 (co-authored with Rocio Liu).
- Getting the Deal Through – Banking Regulation 2010 (co-authored with Mauricio Balbi).
- Getting the Deal Through – Banking Regulation 2008 and 2009 (co-authored with Oscar Eyzaguirre).
- Ceiling on Interest Rates? In: Gestión. Lima, April 25, 2006.
- Professor of Banking Law, Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas – UPC (2001).
- Professor Entrepreneurship Finance in the Masters Program of Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (2001).